One of the Italian specialties, lasagna with zucchini is a healthy recipe, because pasta is replaced with zucchini, and the combination has a delicious taste. Zucchini lasagna is perfect for lunch or dinner.
Lasagne is a type of wide, flat pasta, one of the oldest types of pasta. Lasagne is an Italian dish made of stacked layers of flat pasta alternating with fillings such as ragù (ground meats and tomato sauce) and other vegetables, cheese (which may include ricotta and parmesan), and seasonings and spices such as garlic, oregano, and basil.
Lasagne comes from Italy and has traditionally been attributed to the city of Naples. The first recorded recipe was established in the early fourteenth century “Liber de Coquina”, “The Book of the Kitchen”.
Zucchini “Cucurbita pepo” is a summer squash of Mesoamerican origin that can reach almost 1 meter (40 inches) in length but is usually harvested when it is still immature at about 15-25 cm (6-10 in).
Along with certain other pumpkins, zucchini belong to the “Cucurbita pepo” species. In the recipes, zucchini are vegetables that can be cooked both simple, as a side dish, and with other ingredients for the main course.
You may also want to try these delicious recipes:
- 4 zucchini (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and minced
- 1 onion (peeled and diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Add the tablespoon of olive oil and diced onion in a large pan and cook over medium heat, stirring often until the onion softens and begins to caramelize slightly. Add the chopped garlic and continue to cook and stir for another minute.
- In the pan add the tomato sauce, oregano, salt, and ground black pepper, and fresh basil. Continue to cook for another minute or two and then remove from the heat.
- Cut the zucchini into thin layers, sprinkle salt over them, and set aside for 10 minutes. This will help extract some of the excess water from the vegetable.
- In a baking tray, spread a few tablespoons of sauce made in the pan. Put a layer of zucchini slices over the sauce, then a layer of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Add a few tablespoons of sauce followed by another layer of zucchini.
- Sprinkle with ricotta cheese on top and repeat the process until you have finished all the ingredients. The final layer of the house should be mozzarella cheese covered with parmesan.
- Put the zucchini lasagna in the oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until the cheese has melted and started to brown.
- Allow cooling for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.