A Waldorf salad is a portion of fresh food made from several fresh fruits and vegetables. Walnuts are never missing from the salad, but neither are the grapes and, of course, mayonnaise. It is a dish that can be served both as a main course, for a light meal, and as an appetizer. Thanks to apples and grapes, the salad acquires a tasty consistency and aroma.
Waldorf Salad is named after the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York, where it was first prepared. The master of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, Oscar Tschirky, has created many recipes from the restaurant menu that can be found in the hotel and is known for his Waldorf salad recipe. In 1896, the salad appeared in the cookbook “Oscar Waldorf”.
The original Waldorf salad recipe was made only from apples, celery, and mayonnaise, without nuts. Later, before the cookbook appeared, other additional ingredients were added to the salad recipe. Waldorf salad recipe.
- Mixed salad greens or lettuce leaves
- 3 medium golden or red apples
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup celery
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup cold whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup of grapes
- For starters, wash the apples well, but do not peel them. Cut into small pieces or slices as you prefer.
- Put the apples in a bowl, add over the lemon juice, sugar, and a little salt. Cut the celery into small thin pieces, as well as the grapes, and chop the walnuts. Mix all the ingredients well in the bowl.
- In a separate bowl put the mayonnaise and mix with the mixer for a minute. Using a silicone spatula, add the cream over the mayonnaise and mix everything. When you have formed a thick cream, place it over the apple mixture.
- Over the Waldorf salad add a few lettuce leaves and mix everything. Waldorf salad is ready and can be eaten with one main course or simple for a light dinner.