Pumpkin soup is a healthy and nutritious fall dish that will be ready in just 30 minutes. It is best when prepared with fresh pumpkin, but you can also use a canned one. It doesn’t seem like a versatile recipe, but it is, as you can add numerous ingredients, herbs, and spices to add more flavor and texture.
If you would like to roast the pumpkin for preparing the soup, just preheat the oven to 400°F, place pumpkin halves cut sides down on a lined baking sheet (scrape out them seeds and roast the apart) and roast for 40 minutes.
Tips for the best Pumpkin soup
- Garnish with chopped chives, croutons, kale chips, or grated Parmesan cheese.
- Another tasty idea is adding fried sliced bacon as it will take this soup to a whole another level.
- Add some herbs and spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, garlic powder, or cloves.
- To make Caribbean style pumpkin soup add 1 tablespoon of curry powder, a few drops of lime juice, and ½ teaspoon of ground nutmeg. Garnish with sliced lime and lime zest.
You may also want to try these recipes:
How to store pumpkin soup?
You can store this soup in the freezer for up to 2 months or refrigerate for 2 to 3 days.
Here’s how to make pumpkin soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lb pumpkin, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups meat broth
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until golden.
- Add in garlic and cilantro, and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Pour in meat broth and add diced pumpkin.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cook until the pumpkin is fork-tender.
- Blend with an immersion blender until smooth and homogeneous.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve and drizzle with heavy cream.