In cream soups, baked or in cakes and pies, the sweet aroma of pumpkin is obvious, regardless of the recipe you prepare.
Pumpkin pie is one of childhood’s favorite desserts. Fragrant, tender, and easy to prepare, the pumpkin pie will always be an appreciated dessert appreciated, served with joy whenever it is put on the table.
Along with the apple pie, the pumpkin pie is one of the most cooked and loved autumn pie recipes. Both pies are prepared quickly, with few ingredients and low costs.
Pumpkin contains vitamin A, vitamins B, C, E, and K, zinc, sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, selenium, manganese, and iron. It is rich in protein and fiber and is an excellent source of Omega 3 and Omega 6 essential fatty acids.
Not only the pulp is eaten in the case of pumpkin, but also the seeds. Pumpkin seeds are as healthy as the vegetable and are a well-known treatment for intestinal parasites.
Consumption of pumpkin improves the immune system and vision, helps in weight loss, and helps digestion of the body.
If you like cooking with pumpkin, you may also want to try these recipes too:
How long does pumpkin pie last
Pumpkin pie is excellent on the day it’s made, and good the day after. Freshly baked pumpkin pie will keep for about 3 days in the fridge. Of course, it’s recommended that you cover it with aluminum foil or plastic wrap. On day three, you will see that the crust starts to get soft.
On the other hand, you should immediately throw it away if it has a sour smell or taste or if the custard has started to break down and liquid is gathering in the pan.
Can You Freeze Pumpkin Pie?
- Let the pumpkin pie cool completely
- Cover it with plastic wrap
Tighter seal prevents unwanted air and moisture from messing with the pie’s consistency
- Clear the space in the freezer
- Insert the wrapped pumpkin pie in the freezer
You should know that you can keep it in the freezer for up to 4 weeks.
What to do with leftover pumpkin pie filling
Don’t throw away leftover pumpkin pie filling. Here’s a list of ideas that you can try to make.
- Add it to pancake mix
- Chocolate chip cookie mix
- Pumpkin muffins
- Pumpkin bars
- Pumpkin crumble
- Mini pie without the crust
How to make pumpkin pie
- Ingredients for the crust of pumpkin pie
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup sweet rice flour
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 1/2 cup organic cornstarch
- 1/4 cup organic flour
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (thickening agent)
- 12 tablespoons butter (cold and cubed)
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons of ice water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Ingredients for the filling
- 1 1/4 cups canned pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon sweet rice flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- In a food processor add all the dry ingredients, butter cubes, and mix at low speed until the mixture crumbles.
- Add the egg and mix until the egg is incorporated into the flour and butter mixture.
- Add the cold water slowly and continue to stir. Add water until the dough gets the desired consistency. Do not add too much water, as it will make the dough sticky and harder to spread and shape.
- Take the dough from the food processor and spread it on a baking sheet. Gather the dough into a ball, then divide the dough into two pieces and flatten them.
- Place each piece in a plastic bag and refrigerate for at least an hour before preparing the pie.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and place it between two sheets of waxed paper. Let it sit enough to become soft enough to roll.
- Roll from the center outwards to form a circle. If the dough is too sticky, place it in the freezer for a few minutes, then continue to roll it.
- Remove the baking sheet from the dough. Put the dough in the shape of a pie and cut the edges with a knife.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- You can bake the crust in the oven. Penetrate it with a fork to prevent bubbles from appearing while baking.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the crust is lightly golden.
- Make the filling
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir until the contents are well blended, about 1 minute.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Pour the filling mixture into the pie crust.
- If you baked before the pie crust before, you may need to bake the pie for only about 25 minutes. Avoid excessive baking, as the outer walls of the pie may break.