These oatmeal chocolate cookies are perfect for breakfast to be eaten with a glass of milk. An oatmeal cookie can have various fillings from raisins, chocolate chips, seeds, dried fruits or other combinations.
The basic ingredients of the recipe are oats, all-purpose flour, sugar and eggs. Oatmeal cookies are one of the most popular desserts in the United States, known since 1900 when they were called “healthy foods” because they contained a large number of vitamins from oatmeal and raisins.
In the early Middle Ages, traditional Scottish oatmeal cakes had similar ingredients to today’s recipes but were crispier than oatmeal cakes made today.
The first recorded oatmeal recipe was published in the United States by Fannie Merritt Farmer in the 1896 cookbook, “Boston Cooking-School Cook Book”. Later, a lot of other oatmeal recipes became known, each of them with another filling.
You may also want to try these recipes:
How to make oatmeal cookies with chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 cups oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups chocolate chips (semisweet or dark)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup of coconut oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup sugar brown
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a large baking tray, place baking paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the coconut oil and sugars with an electric mixer until the sugar is very well incorporated.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and continue to stir.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients over the wet ingredients and continue to mix until all the ingredients are combined.
- Add oatmeal and chocolate chips and continue to stir.
- Form the cookies with a spoon. Put a tablespoon of dough on the baking sheet, leave space between each cookie.
- Bake the cakes for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown around the edges, but remain soft in the middle. Do not bake excessively, otherwise, the cookies will not be chewable.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and let them cool well.