The mozzarella sticks are served as an appetizer and consist of elongated pieces of fried mozzarella. Mozzarella sticks can be served with tomato sauce, ketchup, and mustard. In the United States, this kind of food is often served in restaurants as an aperitif and as food served in pubs. Mozzarella sticks have the shape of a stick.
Preparing these homemade mozzarella sticks is very easy. The main ingredient is cheese, which is why you must choose the right variety of cheese that will last in the hot oil.
They are a crunchy snack on the outside and elastic on the inside, perfect to be served as an appetizer at any time of the day or for dinner with fresh lettuce.
Mozzarella is a traditional cheese from southern Italy, made from buffalo milk. Mozzarella is traditionally served the day after it is made but can be kept in brine for up to a week or more if kept in sealed packaging. See which is the best recipe for mozzarella sticks.
You may also want to try these recipes:
How to cook mozzarella sticks
- 1 package mozzarella cheese sticks, each stick unwrapped and cut in half to make 12 sticks
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Before frying, place the cheese sticks halved on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat the mayonnaise and egg together in a bowl.
- Place the flour, breadcrumbs, onion, and garlic powder in a large bowl and mix to combine all ingredients.
- Take the frozen cheese sticks and pass them through the egg mixture to cover, then into the flour mixture.
- Place the covered cheese sticks on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Put the sheet with all the cheese sticks back in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Put a pan with oil on the fire and when the oil is hot, fry the mozzarella sticks.
- Mozzarella sticks are fried one at a time on both sides for 5 minutes. Repeat with the remaining sticks.