If you want to prepare an appetizer that will impress all your guests, then you should try to fry green tomatoes. It is a simple, classic recipe, based on fried tomatoes passed through the egg, and flour, which can be eaten as it is or with a salad or other garnish. They taste slightly sour and go well with the crunchy coating.
This recipe contains unripe tomatoes, the green ones. You can also fry up red tomatoes with this recipe but make sure they are not over ripe or they will be mushy.
Fried green tomatoes are often served as a side dish or a topping for sandwiches and burgers but you can also serve them as an appetizer.
Here’s how to make tasty fried green tomatoes.
- 3 unripe tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds total), cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2/3 cup flour
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, such as Louisiana or Tabasco
- 3/4 cup finely ground cornmeal
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Prepare the dry composition. Mix in a bowl 1/3 cup flour, pepper and salt.
- Prepare the wet composition. Mix the milk, egg white and sauce.
- In a separate bowl, mix the remaining flour and corn.
- Wash the tomatoes and cut into thin slices. Now start cooking the fried green tomatoes. Soak each slice of tomatoes in the flour mixture, then in the milk and butter mixture, then in the corn flour mixture.
- Put a pan on the fire and add the oil. When the oil is well heated, add the tomato slices one by one. Fry until golden brown. About 3-4 minutes on each side. When ready, remove the slices of fried green wheels on a paper towel to drain the oil.
- Fried green tomatoes are eaten hot along with your favorite sauce. They are an excellent appetizer for every day.